Every Wednesday, I’ll (try) to post up a Simple Living Tip, with an emphasis on tips that can be done while living a more traditional 9-to-5 life.
Can gift giving really be simple? There are so many occasions to remember and people to please (some easier than others), not to mention budget considerations!
Here are my simple/slacker types for making gift-giving easier.
- Cultivate a reputation as a “bad” gift giver: No, you don’t want to give inconsiderate gifts like a barbecue cookbook to a vegetarian, but it may be worthwhile to set the bar relatively low so that people don’t expect great gifts from you.
- Don’t Wrap: Just throw everything in big bags or put a bow on top.
- Shop Online: Not only does this save you driving time, a lot of websites can give you good recommendations based on gender, age, occasion, etc.. This can be very helpful when you’re desperate.
- Buy off the registry: No thought process here.
- Forget birthdays? Is this an option?
- Treat a person: It’s often easier to take a person out to dinner/lunch or a spa day instead of trying to find that perfect gift.
- A thought on generic gifts: If you receive slippers, candles, perfumes, calendars, or bath soaps, it means the gift-giver has no idea what to give you or you’re someone who isn’t easy to shop for. Give that person a break and suggest going out instead!
Some people advise planning ahead such as keeping a list so that you can buy gifts when you spot something that a certain person would love (say buy a “perfect” Christmas gift in July). If you’re that organized, go for it. I just can’t think that far ahead!
Do you have good tips on gift-giving?